The Department of Science was established in 1987, first as a part of Education Faculty then later as a part of the Technology and Applied Sciences Faculty.
The idea of establishment came as a response to several studies and surveys which concluded that local teachers lacked the necessary updated skills of teaching. Thus, a program to rehabilitate teachers was one of the community requirements.
The Department offers a major in Science and a minor in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Teaching Methods, CIS, or Communications.
The Department aims to:
- Equip Students with different sets of research skills in the various fields of science such as Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Equip students with the required skills to operate scientific devices and design scientific experiments to explore the principles of Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
- Employ scientific terms and principles in the field of education and research.
- Equip students with mental and practical skills in the various fields of science.
- Equip students with skills of analysis and communication.
- Provoke the mindsets of students and increase their thirst for knowledge.
- Utilize the principles of Physics in the conservation of energy.
- Utilize acquired skills and knowledge to innovate in science.
- Build an academic character that utilizes research and critical thinking, and match theory with practice.
- Supply the local and international labor market with graduates capable of contributing in the development of science and technology.
- Prepare qualified graduates capable of furthering their higher education in the various scientific fields.
- Supply the local community with qualified teachers.